What did you want to be when you were a kid? The more time goes by the more our reality becomes the one where it’s possible to live up to your childhood dreams without them getting too much in the way with the rest of your life. Or significantly improve your current career with new applicable knowledge. We’re talking about educational apps and their potential to improve people’s lives. Education was rapidly evolving long before the pandemic, but 2020 is a year for the e-learning industry to start operating to its full capacity and it’s time to grasp the opportunities offered by the thriving market for educational apps.
So let’s look at the benefits of making an educational app for you as a business person, what’s worth noting about the e-learning app market, how COVID-19 influenced the global condition, what types of learning apps are more likely to succeed, and other business aspects of e-learning app development.
Educational apps market statistics
The question of how to create an educational app has its answers, but in this article, we’ll take a look at why would you want to do it and what’s in it for you. The current situation with the quarantine and shutdowns being repeatedly turned on and off all over the globe and their consequences drew the attention of entrepreneurs, startup owners, and investors to the areas of business that were previously if not neglected then underrated. In addition to the healthcare industry, it’s education and learning of various kinds.
The first online education programs began to appear in the 1990s with the widespread usage of the internet but the impact of online learning on education was really starting to be felt about a decade ago with the further development of technologies that made it available to more people. The active development of the market and a significant increase in demand for online education made it so that now the audience of e-learning courses has millions of users.
Education is the third most popular category on the App Store, beaten only by Games and Business, and on Google Play, e-learning is even higher in the second place. Though on both platforms the category has a similar percentage of almost 9% of the total.Technavio, a market research firm that recently released its latest 2020-2024 research on the education apps market, predicts that it will expand by $46.9 billion with a CAGR of about 26%.
Following another set of predictions by the Research and Markets data provider, the worldwide e-learning market is estimated to be worth $398 billion in 2026. That is a 300% boost from 2015’s 107 billion.
The online education market is developing rapidly and is being encouraged by raising capital. In 2019, the global investment in EdTech (the development of technological solutions for education) reached $18.66 billion, which is 14.2% more than in 2018. The most substantial section is in the USA (42.9%) and China (21.4%). Investors prefer to put their money into learning tools based on artificial intelligence (this category occupies 19.7% of the investment structure) and mobile learning (15.9%).
Why educational app development is beneficial for your business
Education is popular. Anatomy, physics, chemistry, astronomy, and art apps win design and interface awards and get downloaded by hundreds of thousands of users. Online courses from learning foreign languages to medicine are now available for both children and adults. Self-education was never easier than today, both for personal or academic education.
The rhythm of modern life dictates its laws, and often the only free time we have is while driving or commuting, so smartphones become the most affordable way to get new information quickly and easily. If you don’t give up and try to devote every minute to self-development, then your choice is training with a mobile application.
That’s why an increasing number of people are using educational apps, no matter the age or professional background. It means that by creating an educational app, you can provide specific value to consumers and businesses resulting in a popular and profitable product.
Benefits for customers
For the users of e-learning mobile apps, they present a set of distinct benefits:
- Convenience — studying at your own pace and saving valuable time.
- Availability and cost-effectiveness — no traveling, no specific rooms, or spaces required.
- Knowledge — developing new skills to improve your current life situation.
- Engagement — modern e-learning solutions are exciting and social.
- Interactivity — a better connection between students and teachers.
- Personalization — faster progress because of the possibility to learn only what’s needed.
- Fresh learning approaches — gamification, micro-training, and other new methods.
- Productivity tracking — an easier option to track one’s performance.
Benefits for businesses
- Huge profit opportunities — taking into account the above-mentioned popularity of mobile e-learning solutions.
- Making use of the latest technology advances — some apps for educational purposes get to be popular because of incorporating modern tech. It’s a great place to introduce something revolutionary in everyday life.
- Ability to change and improve people’s lives — many startups owners dream about making an impact. Here’s an opportunity.
For example, in May 2020 TikTok has announced its desire to encourage its community to self-educate by launching its new #LearnOnTikTok platform. $14.6 million of investments are said to be assigned for the use of hiring the services of various institutions and experts with experience in creating engaging educational content.
— StarTalk (@StarTalkRadio) August 23, 2020
What types of e-learning apps are in demand
There are 2 main types of educational apps: apps for students and apps for teachers.
The most common types of e-learning applications for students include:
- Apps for a specific purpose — anything where you can acquire new skills from learning Swedish to playing guitar.
- Apps for kids — from learning colors, shapes, nursery rhymes for toddlers to math and geography for school kids. The demand for such applications for every age is staggering.
- Apps for exams — a great help for college kids to keep their grades up and pass exams.
- Apps with educational information — popular among professionals, like for example, apps with educational information for doctors and medical interns.
Teachers are in need of the following types of apps:
- Apps for planning — these save hours of teachers’ time making it easier for them to get hold of the previous lessons and make arrangements for the next ones.
- Apps for scheduling — for educators it’s important to effectively schedule their time to get the most out of every minute of their day.
- Apps for grading — such apps come with useful features like reports, grade calculation, notifications, and more.
Top educational apps
As shown in one of the recent Sensortower reports, the most downloadable educational app currently is Google Classroom with over 14.8 million installs. It’s 13 times more as opposed to the similar period of the previous year.
YouTube Kids comes next boasting over 9.1 million installs.
Duolingo comes the third, with Tips for File Transfer 2020 and Cake making the top-most five.
Educational apps market growth factors and hindrances
Technavio also highlights the increasing user interest in STEM apps and game-like learning.
Other global factors worth noting are:
- The universal acceleration in the use of mobile apps
- The rising number of mobile users
- Progressing usage of AR & VR applications and blended learning.
Some active factors are directly connected with the benefits of educational apps:
- Affordable charges
- Versatility of learning
- Enhanced efficiency.
Factors that hinder the further development of the e-learning market include:
- Issues with data security — the massive shift to remote learning that happened this year introduced new privacy questions.
- Low connection speed and other issues like technology obsolescence are still some serious challenges in e-learning market development worldwide.
E-learning app market tendencies
The most prominent trend in educational mobile app development is the burgeoning use of wearable tech, as mentioned in multiple papers, the one by Maximize Market Research among them.
Wearable technology efficiently engages students making it easier for them to concentrate on the process. It further intensifies creativity and ingenuity letting students go beyond the usual limits and work closely with their surroundings. For example, with Autographer — a wearable digital camera — students can take photos of their teachers’ notes. Muse headband keeps track of students’ brain activity. Other examples of tech like smartwatches, GoPro, and Google Glass are more familiar to the wider audience.
What also stimulates the expansion of the education apps market is the wide use of smartphones and tablets for studying purposes. For example, 81% of US college students say that they owe the improvement of their grades to the advances of digital learning technologies.
The development of cloud and smart technologies for collecting and storing data leads to further ease of accessibility and cost savings, more secure data storage, and minimization of hardware requirements. With cloud storage and computing, there’s no need to invest in expensive PCs, hence the further e-learning mobile app development.
There’s also a growth in microlearning. This technique allows condensing the most important information into small blocks of 3 to 15 minutes of audio or video materials, adapting to our ever-shortening attention spans.
Online learning market geography
The greater number of reports, including the one by Fortune Business Insights, predicts that North America will have the largest educational app market size in 2020-2025 because of stability in economic growth, rapid adoption of technological developments, and the rising penetration of smartphones across the region, mostly the USA and Canada.
Other resources name the APAC (Asia Pacific) region as the one with the highest predicted augmentation due to the wide student base in India, China, and Japan and the implementation of the latest technologies in countries such as Australia and Singapore.
COVID-19 impact on the educational app market
Although the pandemic has its influence on every major industry, it’s direct impact differs greatly from industry to industry, some experiencing negative issues while others remain unscathed and even grow in strength.According to a recent analysis by App Annie, mobile learning apps were downloaded almost doubled worldwide between the last three months of 2019 and the first three months of 2020. Statista seconds that, showing the sharp rise of popularity of educational apps during the first quarter of 2020 amidst the gathering storm of pandemics.
E-learning is the future
It’s a booming industry, as the above exciting e-learning business statistics clearly show. Many are finding that e-learning is not just a viable alternative, it’s a better one. Interactive and gaming technologies allow applications to communicate with us, adjust to the level of knowledge, and at the same time be entertaining. And the smartphone is always at hand, so you can learn something new anywhere and anytime.
If you are still in doubt, whether it’s worth hiring an app developer for creating an education app or not, then you should analyze the educational app market. Hope that the information above was helpful. Write us a few words and let’s discuss your educational app idea.
* * *
Further reads on e-learning app development:
- How to Create an Educational App and How Much It Costs
- Make It Work: Tips On E-Learning App Development
- 8 E-Learning App Trends Defining Educational App Development
- E-Learning App Design And How To Make It Better